Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday is PIE DAY!

This is my first post about pie.  I love pie.  I love to bake it and I love to eat it.  Pie sadly seems to have taken a back seat to cakes, cookies, and (here in the midwest) bars.  Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a piece of cake or a cookie, and I'll be posting recipes for plenty of those as well.  But, when it comes down to it, I believe that a slice of pie and a good cup of coffee can cure most ills.
Lemon Meringue pie is a tasty classic, but this pie wins out as my favorite for lemon.  I am a huge fan of crust, so the fact that this has double crust instead of meringue is delightful to me.  It also has plenty of tart lemon flavor because it uses the zest of the lemon and whole slices of the lemon.  *note-if you have texture issues with food, this might not be the pie for you-the whole slices of lemon do not break down completely*
Shaker Lemon Pie
2 large lemons
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/8 t salt
2 T flour
2 T melted butter
double 9 inch pie crust
-zest lemons, remove extra pith, then slice lemons very thinly (remove any seeds)
-combine sugar, lemon zest and slices in bowl
-mix well and refrigerate for 4 hours
-beat eggs separately, then combine with lemon and sugar
-stir in salt, flour and butter
-pour into prepared crust, top with crust
-bake at 400 for 15 min, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for 25-30 min
Enjoy, and Happy Pie-day!

4 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to eat this very recipe when Christine visited me and I was having overpowering pregnancy-related lemon cravings. It was the only thing that helped! So good.

    And I totally agree about Pie Love. I understand the current cupcake craze - they're so cute and versatile and a nice palate for getting really creative - but they just don't have the the whole *what?* that pie has.

    XO, Be

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you come see me this month, bring one of those! :)-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pie sounds wonderful, Christine!!! Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but ... I don't know how to make pie crust ... I'm afraid I'm a great big pie baking failure!!!! I have gone so far as to make a crustless quiche and claim I love it because it has fewer calories without that fattening crust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i will definitely bring you a pie cara lynn!

    a lot of people don't know how or don't like to make pie crust....my sister hates it, so i always bake pie and she makes bars. everyone has their own talents. an apple or berry crisp is just as yummy as pie, and a lot easier too!

    ReplyDelete