Saturday, September 12, 2009

Friday is PIE DAY!

Okay, so it is Saturday by the time I am getting to the PIE DAY post, but that is because I was too busy baking pies yesterday to have any time to blog about it.  So, without further ado..........

This batch of pies (8 all together!) is for an annual family wild game feed that is taking place tonight. ( I plan to take lots of photos and gather lots of recipes, then blog about it early next week.)  I decided to stick to a couple of classics, fall in flavor, and good compliments to wild game-old fashioned apple and chocolate bourbon pecan.
just picked apples from my neighbor's tree (thanks Andrea!)........ready for peeling!
When I make fruit pies, I never measure anything......my recipe would go something like this: fill it with fruit, add some sugar (how tart is the fruit?), some kind of thickener, dot it with butter and some spices.  I realize that this would not make it into any self-respecting recipe book, so for you I am going to refer to a classic apple pie recipe.
Apple Pie
1 double pie crust
6 c apples
1 c sugar
1/4 c flour
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/8 t salt
-peel, core and cut apples into chunks
-mix with sugar and flour and salt
-spoon into one half of prepared crust
-dot with butter and sprinkle spices on top
-top with second crust
-bake at 375 for about 45 min or until brown and bubbly 
Of course, always feel free to adapt to your own tastes.  You can add more sugar if you like it sweeter or the apples are particularly tart, or you can change up the spices a bit.

apple pies in the oven.
The second pie of the day is also one of my most requested.  It is loaded with bad stuff, but it is oh so good.
The recipe is very simple, and the results are a rich pie with gooey chocolate, a nice nip of bourbon flavor, and a beautifully crisped, crunchy pecan top layer.
When I am baking in quantity, I like to gather all of my ingredients first, then get down to it.
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
1 9 inch prepared pie crust (unbaked)
1 c sugar
1 c light corn syrup
1/2 c butter, melted
4 eggs
2 T bourbon
1 T vanilla
1/4 t salt
1 c chocolate chips
1 cup pecans
-beat eggs lightly in large mixing bowl.
-add remaining ingredients and mix well, until all is blended
-pour into pie crust
-bake at 350 for 1 hour
bourbon chocolate pecan pie filling all mixed up and ready to go
Ok, pies are baked, cooler is packed, and I am ready for a party! Can't wait to share all the details with you.
Have a lovely weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Your pies are lovely, Christine ... each a work of art! You inspire me. Someday, I will make a pie using real pie crust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i ate the bird crust carving off of your apple pie at the game feed. Good crust

    -hannah

    ReplyDelete