Monday, December 7, 2009

weekend pasta


Pasta and soup are very forgiving entrees-you can throw scraps of this and that from your fridge or pantry into some broth or noodles and miraculously come up with something tasty.  We had another weekend evening of "hmmm...do we have anything to eat, should we go out?  but, we went out last night," debating.  I finally decided to crack a bottle of wine, whip up some pasta and call it a night.  I started with the obvious-olive oil and some roasted garlic left over from earlier in the week.   I then tossed in 3/4 of a can of chickpeas (I love chickpeas in pasta) and let them get a little browned and crispy in the olive oil and garlic.
Next, one cup of frozen spinach and one can of diced tomatoes (well-drained).  My friend, and Pies and Aprons fan, Valerie had inquired recently about squash and pasta recipes, so that combo was fresh in my head.  Well, what do you know, I had half of a baked squash in the fridge, so I diced that and tossed it into the mix, letting it get heated through (add a teensy bit of water to keep things from sticking while it heats).
Season with salt and pepper, heat up some crusty bread, and you are good to go for another quick, easy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment