Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Every day cookies

With this whole Pie Day thing going on, I feel that cookies have been a bit neglected here.  I generally keep our cookie jar stocked all the time because S has a powerful sweet tooth, but I realize that I've written very few posts about cookies.  I always seem to make them in a rush, and forget how much I like baking them.  As I was mixing up a batch this past weekend, I rediscovered that joy.  So-bum bum ba bum-from this day forth (imagine a page unrolling proclamation with a flourish!), I vow to give cookies their due.  I'm starting with my basic cookie dough recipe that I have made so many times I could nearly do it with my eyes closed.

Every day Cookies

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 1/4 c flour

No fancy directions.  I honestly just dump everything into a bowl and stir it up!
You can vary the mix-ins depending on your mood.
This weekend I used chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, raisins and oatmeal.
These get baked at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes-they should be starting to brown
Other great combos include:
-chocolate chips and pecans
-white chocolate chips, dried cranberries and walnuts
-oatmeal and raisins-classic
-m & m's and more m&m's
Cookies-your time has come!
Happy Baking
Christine

4 comments:

  1. Great basic recipe - thanks for sharing! C loves baking cookies so I'm always looking for ideas.

    Oh, and if you ever need a taste tester C Monster would be more than happy to help :) She could give Steve a run for his money in the sweet tooth contest. So could A. So could I. Me love cookies. Yum, yum, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ack! I'm surrounded by cookie monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I love cookies, Christine. I'm more likely to make cookies than a pie. Sadly, I'm not much of a baker of cookies or pies, as my children will disappointedly agree ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard K complain about your cooking or lack thereof.....

    ReplyDelete