Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cran-Walnut Chocolate Cookies

Another cookie recipe!  There's no stopping me now-the cookie monster has been unleashed.
I used to make these cookies a lot, but the recipe somehow got pushed to the back of the recipe box.
It seemed like it was time to dust it off and give them a whirl again.  As I was stirring up the dough, I kept thinking "Oh yeah-these cookies-now I remember."  When S tasted the first one, he said, "Oh yeah-these cookies."  All good memories, of course.  Stir up a batch and add them to your own memory.

Cran-Walnut Chocolate Cookies

3 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t soda
1 t baking powder
3/4 c butter
1 c brown sugar
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 c white 'chocolate' chips
1/2 c chopped walnuts

-mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
-cream butter, egg and sugars together in separate bowl
-add the wet mix to the dry mix and combine well
-stir in cranberries, walnuts and chips
-form dough into balls (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter)
-bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned
-cool on wire rack

Ok-I am telling you now that this dough will seem a bit weird and dry.  Trust me.  It will all work out.
You have to form the cookie balls in your hands by really squishing it together.  The dry to wet ratio is strange in this recipe. Combined with the baking powder, this gives them a unique puffy and crunchy, yet soft in the middle texture.  I think the moisture in the cranberry juice is what tips the scale to perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment