Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chili and Cornbread

Yeah, I know. Chili and cornbread seems like a rather odd post for a steamy summer day. However, this chili was made with leftovers from my Memorial Day shredded beef. In case you try out that recipe, I just wanted to share this idea for any that you might have leftover. I popped a bunch in the freezer right after the party, then defrosted it earlier in the week to add to a batch of rainy day chili. Even though the rainy day turned into a sunny night, this classic combo still hit the spot. For the chili, just start with your favorite recipe, then add the shredded beef in place of ground beef. I couldn't possibly begin to tell you what my chili recipe is. It's not top secret or anything, just one of those times when I never measure ANYthing. The cornbread recipe, on the other hand, is up for grabs. Here ya go!
"Hey, this isn't from a box!" Cornbread

1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 c sugar
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1 c milk (or buttermilk)
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter

-mix dry ingredients together in large bowl
-make well in middle of bowl
-in separate bowl, lightly beat eggs
-add milk and oil to eggs, stir until combined
-pour into well, and mix with fork until just moistened
(batter will still be slightly lumpy)
-spoon into greased 9" glass pie pan
-bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes

This cornbread is fluffy and flavorful, but not too sweet. Serve it warm with butter!

2 comments:

  1. YUM. I love chili and cornbread. I'll eat it anytime! My dad used to make it with black olives in the chili. Yum yum.

    And leftover cornbread for breakfast (or dessert) warmed, with butter and honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohh-black olives! must try that.
    there was always a battle in my family between the people who liked celery in their chili, and those who did not. I'm on the fence. I never put it in there, but I'll eat it with no complaints.

    and yes, cornbread *anytime* w/butter & honey:)

    ReplyDelete