Friday, December 3, 2010

Friday is PIE DAY!

Recently, I picked up some new baking goodies from The Golden Fig in St. Paul. It's always a treat to have new and interesting ingredients that might inspire something fantastic in the kitchen. Spices, vinegars and sugars are blended and bottled weekly at The Golden Fig, so I know that my baked goods will be filled with the freshest items possible. Today, I broke out a Cherry Cardamom Sugar to use in the pie of the day. I was in the mood for custard, so I used a big dose of this super yummy sugar and some lightly toasted almonds to create this tasty new combo.

Almond 3C's Pie

single 9' pie crust
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups 2% or whole milk
1/2 t vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup + 2 T Cherry Cardamom Sugar
1 cup chopped almonds, lightly toasted

-add milk and vanilla to beaten eggs, and beat again lightly
-add sugars and whisk until well blended
-stir in almonds
-pour into prepared pie crust
-sprinkle top with 2 T Cherry Cardamom Sugar
-bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes

2 comments: