Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday is PIE DAY!

When I was at the grocery store yesterday, I noticed big displays of overpriced strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Overpriced, of course, because they are certainly not in season. In demand, of course, because it is Valentine's Day on Monday. I am fairly sure that not one of them tastes anything like a berry.
This pie is a fun alternative for your fruit cravings in the days of snow and cold. It also happens to make a sweet and really simple dessert for your Valentine.

Jelly Pie

9" single pie crust
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 eggs, separated
1 C jelly...your favorite flavor!
My sister gave me this pretty vintage Pyrex pie plate for Christmas. I've been reluctant to use it, because it looks like it had never been used, but the color seemed perfect for a Valentine pie. Time to break it in!
-in medium bowl, cream sugar and butter

-beat egg yolks in separate bowl, then stir into mixture

-lightly beat egg whites and stir into mixture

-lastly, stir in jelly (I used strawberry today)

-pour into prepared pie shell

-bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes

This simple custard base pie is reminiscent of a jelly filled doughnut or maybe a piece of really good bread slathered with butter and jelly. Most custard pie variations are ridiculously easy, and this one is no exception. It leaves you no excuse for not making a homebaked treat for your Valentine. (especially if you use a store bought crust! I won't tell!)
It will especially impress of you sweeten the deal with a powdered sugar heart on top. Use a pre-cut heart stencil, or cut your own out of cardstock paper. Place it on top of the cooled pie, and sift powdered sugar over the cut out. Carefully remove the stencil and brush away any strays with a pastry brush. Cute!
 To serve, I sprinkle each piece with more powdered sugar, and top with a cupcake pick.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing could say "Be Mine" any better my sweet friend. Just realized I will be talking to you on VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!! Oh I am so happy. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you've got all sorts of sweet surprises for your family.....
    Talk to you on V-Day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete