Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Nutella to the rescue.

 During this past holiday season,
I tried a number of new cookie recipes-
some from other sources,
and some of my own devising.
Well.
I wasn't wowed by any of them.
I have three or four of my best, most favorite cookie recipes.
Then a bunch that are pretty good if any of those favorite kinds happen to not be around.
Then a lot of cookies that I would rather not waste calories on.
(at that point, hand me any slice of pie)

I do like a good icebox cookie
for it's old fashion feel and ease.
This one seemed like a great combo,
and came out tasting pretty good.
But, boy oh boy,
was it a SAD looking little cookie.

I intended to pretty them up with
a drizzle of this or that,
or maybe a dip in white chocolate.

Well.
I avoid too much fuss when it comes to cookies,
so the drizzling or dipping or whatnot
did not get done before Christmas arrived,
and these little guys were relegated to the freezer.

In a post-holiday late night chocolate frenzy,
I pulled them out and thought to give them another try.
Suddenly, a brilliant thought entered my mind.

I had been gifted a GIANT jar of Nutella
for Christmas- a treat that I would
normally not keep around the house at
the risk of overconsumption.

But.
oh me, oh my.
What a perfect (and easy!)
compliment to these little darlings.
A big schmear of Nutella on one cookie,
then another cookie plopped on top.
dreamy.
creamy.
not sad at all.
Cocoa and hazelnuts in the cookies.
Cocoa and hazelnuts in the Nutella.
brilliant.
and so adorable
and scrumptious
in a big stack.

woo.
try your own!

Cocoa Icebox Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 t salt
3 T cocoa powder
2 cups flour
1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts

-stir butter and sugar together until creamy
-add egg and stir again until creamy
(you can also use a mixer for this part)
-add dry ingredients and stir until well combined
-divide dough in half
-shape each half into a log
-wrap in saran wrap
-refrigerate for at least one hour, up to 2 days
-when ready to bake, remove from fridge and slice into 1/2 inch thick circles
-lay flat on cookie sheet
-bake at 375 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes, just until top is slightly firm
-cool on rack






5 comments:

  1. Yum! THe kids have just discovered the wonders of nutella - there's no going back now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?? World Nutella Day? How weird that I just posted this....I'll have to link my post to the Nutella site!
    (and eat a few of these cookies in honor of the holiday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my... i want these right now! Thanks for the great idea!!!
    Renee x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic! I think my daughter would hover over me in the kitchen for these! Yum

    ReplyDelete