Tuesday, September 1, 2009

today's kitchen doin's

I was trying to use up a bunch of produce odds and ends today, because i can just never let one tasty morsel go to waste.  I came home from the farm market last week with an enormous head of cauliflower.  It is not my hubby's favorite vegetable, but I tell him that those beautiful heads call to me and I cannot resist. After using a good chunk in some pasta salad, there was still a good chunk left.   So, I threw together some sort of cauliflower succotash thing.....................
-started with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 of a small onion, chopped.
-added about 3 cobs worth of corn kernels (they were past their prime for eating off the cob) and
about 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets.........saute for 5 minutes or so.
-then added 4-5 small  to medium tomatoes, chopped, 1/2 veggie boullion cube, salt and pepper,  3/4 c. water and a few bay leaves.
-bring to slow boil, then down to a simmer until liquid is absorbed and veggies are tender. (add more liquid as needed)

I will serve this over pan-fried polenta slices tomorrow, but it would be great on it's own with crusty bread, or over pasta, rice, couscous etc.

And yes, I still have cauliflower left......will whip it up in the cuisinart tomorrow with veggie broth and freeze it for soup base.  I promise not to buy any at the market this week!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy. Doug thought the purple cauliflower I bought this spring was "unnatural." It made the most beautiful side dish!

    ReplyDelete