Tuesday, September 8, 2009

weekend recipes

In between all the paint scraping and sanding over the weekend, I managed to squeeze in quite a good amount of kitchen time.  I thought I would pass along a few things......
I was up to my ears in tomatos and eggplants (see previous market photo), so all of these recipes include one or both (with the exception of a cake, although maybe I should look into that.......).

First off, I made one of my absolute favorite summer treats-fried eggplant-simple and delicious!
-I used a whole eggplant, peeled and sliced  into discs (this was enough for 2 people and leftovers).
-Beat 3 egg whites and pour into shallow dish
-1 cup of bread crumbs, 3 T wheat germ and salt and pepper to taste go into another shallow dish.
-heat 3 T olive oil in pan until rolling and nice and hot.
-dip eggplant slices first into egg whites, then coat lightly with bread crumb mixture.
-fry until crispy and brown, then turn and fry other side.
I served it with corn salad (recipe follows) and mixed greens with vinaigrette.
This corn salad is another one of my favorite summer staples, and perfect for a potluck, as it can be served warm, room temp or cold.  It is definitely one of my most requested recipes, and it couldn't be any easier.
-heat 3 T olive oil in pan
-add 1 cup thinly sliced onions and saute until lighly browned
-add 6 ears worth of fresh corn cut from the cob (i have tried every gadget there is for this, and it's by far the easiest to just slice it off with a knife into a sturdy bowl), saute for 5 minutes
-add 1 cup cherry tomatoes (also add more oil if it looks dry or is sticking to much)
-salt and pepper to taste
-cover and simmer on low until cherry tomatoes "pop" and start to soften
-yummy!
Today, I used the leftover fried eggplant slices to make some excellent stacked sandwiches for lunch. 
I stacked up the eggplant, sliced tomatoes and provolone cheese on a bun, then broiled it until the cheese just started to melt-top with lettuce and lunch is served!
ok, alright, next, my obsession with roasted tomatoes continues..............
I roasted the entire bowl of tomatoes that I posted in my weekend market photo-yes, the whole bowl!
This means that I am set for a weeks worth of super delicious meals using roasted tomatoes-oh yeah.
Tonight, I will make a main dish couscous.
-Bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil, add 1 cup couscous and stir. 
-cover, simmer for 2 minutes or until all water is absorbed. stir, remove from heat.
-meanwhile, heat 2 T olive oil in pan, add 1/2 cup chopped onion and saute.
-add 1 cup sliced cooked carrot and 1 cup sliced zucchini, saute for 5 min.  (you could also use peppers and/ or cauliflower in addition or instead of these veggies)
-add 1 can drained chickpeas and 1 1/2 cup of the roasted tomatoes.
-cover and simmer until carrots are tender.
-stir into prepared couscous.
Serve with a green salad and garlicky pita bread-yummy!
Tomorrow night I will serve up whole wheat spaghetti with a pasta sauce I made this morning (I also made enough to pop into the freezer for later)
-3 T olive oil and 3/4 cup chopped onion in pan, saute
-add 2-3 cloves crushed garlic
-add 2 eggplants, peeled and chopped
-add 4 cups roasted tomatoes and juice.
-bring to boil, then simmer covered for at least 1 hour.
Lastly, I should have enough tomatoes left to throw together a quick pizza..........you can use a homemade crust or premade.......just layer on roated tomatoes, sliced fresh mozzarella and plenty of fresh basil.  add a little salt and fresh ground pepper, then bake at 400 about 15-20 minutes, or until nice and crispy!
oh, and of course, I cannot forget dessert.
I know that I strongly proclaimed the virtues of pie last week, but I do not discriminate when it comes to sweets, so I decided to try a new cake recipe this weekend.  Lately, I have been in love with the old-fashioned, one bowl, 9x13 pan, no frosting needed cakes found in a lot of old church cookbooks (like this one was). 
Here is the recipe that I tried for Boiled Raisin Cake
-1 1/2 c. sugar            
-1/4 c. cocoa
-2 1/2 c. water
-2/3 c. butter
-2 c. raisins
-2 t cinnamon
-1/2 t each cloves, nutmeg, allspice and salt
-3 1/2 c. flour
-2 t baking powder
-1 t baking soda
1 c. chopped walnuts
-mix sugar, cocoa, water, butter, raisins, spices and salt in large saucepan. bring to a boil and boil for 4 minutes. cool to room temperature.
-sift together flour, b. powder and soda.  add to cooled raisin mixture and blend well.
-pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
The resulting cake (as you may have guessed)  is very dense and rich........sort've like a cross between gingerbread and fruitcake with a hint of chocolate thrown in.  I added a simple powdered sugar glaze to make it look prettier, but all in all it is mighty tasty.
I think I'll make some coffee and help myself to slice right now!

1 comment:

  1. It all looks delish, but the raisin cake is really calling to me in my 8th month of pregnancy (baby hearts baked goods). Alas, I am stuck @ my desk with no oven in sight!

    ReplyDelete