Thursday, October 22, 2009

collecting: vintage aprons

It may be apparent by now that many of my collections stem from a love of simple, everyday, utilitarian objects and the beauty that they possess.  It may also be apparent by now that I spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  My vintage apron collection combines these two loves.  I find the wide range of materials, prints, and styles to be so very endearing, and sometimes downright silly. 
This apron is one of the most interesting and entertaining that i have found.
va-va-voom!



When I come upon a handmade apron, I wonder about the fabrics used-were they from other garments that had worn out? or were they scraps from a favorite dress or quilt that was made?  Some of the combinations are so innovative and appealing that I wish I could sit down over a cup of coffee and get to know the seamstress.
I love the combination of flannel print fabric on this one (someones worn out p.j.'s?)
and the word "occident" clipped from a flour bag.

Two of my favorite patchwork aprons (oh-all those great fabrics in one spot!)-one dating from the 40's and the other from the late 50's/early 60's.

I wear them when I am cooking, entertaining, in the garden and just out and about.  When working, they offer not only protection from flour and dirt, but an extra pocket, or a place to tuck a towel or clip a clothespin.  When playing, they act as yet another fabulous accessory, highlighting a vintage dress or adding sass to jeans and a t-shirt.
My all-time favorite apron.


AND NOW!
ANNOUNCING
FROCK PAPER SCISSORS
MY NEW ETSY STORE!
If I have given you the apron bug, you can check out the vintage aprons that I have for sale on this site.  Holiday goodies will be added soon, and I will update listings here on the blog.  You will be able to check out current listings on my sidebar.  I'm hoping that FrockPaperScissors will be a good companion to Pies and Aprons, offering up some vintage and vintage-inspired goods for you to add to your own home.

Thanks for visiting.
Christine

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post. I just love real vintage aprons and had a large collection from the 1920`s thru the 1950`s. The 1930`s era is my favorite. I`ll be visiting your Etsy store soon.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,

    Vintage aprons inspire a lot of love-there are many of us that are hooked! Thanks for stopping in-I'll be listing more aprons over the coming weeks, so check back often!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the one gift I know you will love... :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete