Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Leftover Pork Chop Hash



This recipe is for Laurie, my cousin-in-law. Most of my family met up to partake in a pork chop feed last Saturday night, and we had a couple of yummy pork chops left over.  Laurie has been reading this blog, and requested that I post a recipe using my leftover pork chops.  I often think that I enjoy leftovers more than I enjoy things the first time around, so I was up for the task.  Having just picked up red potatoes,onions, and squash at the farmers market, hash seemed like the natural choice.  Y'all are certainly not limited to leftover pork chops either, as this recipe would be just as tasty with leftover steaks or beef roast.  It would also be equally as yummy with no meat at all!

Leftover Pork Chop Hash

4 T olive oil
1/4 c diced onion
1/4 c diced celery
1 carrot, finely grated
1/2 lb red potatoes, diced
1/2 butternut squash, sliced in rings
2 leftover pork chops, cut off bone and diced
1 T butter
eggs (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

-toss squash rings with 1 T olive oil and salt and pepper
-place in single layer on baking sheet
-roast at 375 for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through, until cooked through and browned

-while squash is baking, heat 3 T olive oil in pan
-saute onion, celery and carrot on medium heat for 5 minutes
-add potatoes and pork, stir to combine
-saute, covered, on medium heat for 20-25 minutes, turning and scraping as needed
(you want the potatoes to cook through and things to get nice and crispy)

-to add eggs, clear a hole in the middle of the pan and toss the 1 T butter in to melt
-crack eggs into pan and cook as desired (I did these over easy)

To serve, scoop a good serving of the hash onto a plate and  top with egg and squash slices.

You can also vary the veggies in this as much as you like, depending on your preference. or what is hanging around in your fridge.  Peppers of any color, cauliflower, broccoli or peas would all be possible additions, especially if you're going all veggie.  That is the lovely thing about hash, like soup, it is a very forgiving venue for leftover bits and pieces.  As defined in the American Heritage dictionary(yes, I still use an actual bound version), it is "a jumble, hodgepodge, or mess, and "a reworking or restatement of material already familiar." 



2 comments:

  1. Too funny, I made almost the exact same thing with leftover pork roast, sweet potatoes, white potates and onions last night. I made my eggs in a seperate pan though.

    And, I made your maple walnut pie for a friend's birthday. Her favorite pie is peacan. Her new favorite pie is maple walnut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up something new from right here.
    I did however expertise a few technical issues using this
    site, as I experienced to reload the website a lot of
    times previous to I could get it to load correctly.
    I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
    Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again soon.
    Also see my site: mackeeper basic

    ReplyDelete