Monday, October 26, 2009

Halloween wreath

As it is the week before Halloween, and as I am a nut for holidays, I thought that I would cram this week's blogs full of spooky and fun ideas for your Halloween.  So, I headed to the dollar store to look for some Halloween inspiration, and came home with a bag full of cheap tricks. 

I always like to adorn the front door with something to welcome party guests and trick or treaters.  With a few of my dollar store supplies and some goodies from my vintage/fun stuff craft stash, I whipped up this cheap and easy Halloween wreath.  The total cost came to under $5!

First, I wrapped a styrofoam wreath form with wide black bias tape (I used both a dull black and a shiny black for a little variety).

I then affixed plastic skeleton hands with craft glue, and wove spanish moss through the hands.  A wonderfully solemn vintage family portrait makes a perfect background for the middle of the wreath (and hints at the nature of the inhabitants of the house?).  This is topped by a welcome? sign to make guests even more wary of entering the premises on Halloween night.  I crafted this super simple sign by using a perfectly aged rick rack card (notice the shadow of the rick rack edge) and craft store letter stickers. 

The photo and sign were attached with black and grey lace bias tape. I cut each length into three pieces to give it a tattered appearance.  Finally, I added a hanger made from mustard yellow bias tape, adding a pop of seasonal color.

The pumpkins are in place, my wreath is hung, and my front porch tableau now looks complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment