Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday is PIE DAY!

Are you sick of rhubarb yet? Not me. Nope. No way.
This weeks pie is a version of one that I saw, but didn't taste, years ago. It's been on my list to make.  I've been hestiant, however, because it combines rhubarb with raisins. Now, I love raisins in pie, but I wasn't entirely sure about this particular combo. Any doubts can now be tossed aside. This is a tasty pie. I still think this is a slightly strange mix for a early summer staple like rhubarb. The raisins and spices give it a vaguely holiday feel and remind me quite a bit of mincemeat. It is a delicious departure from the usual line-up of rhubarb pies.
Rhubarb Raisin Cream Pie

1 9" pie crust
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t cloves
2 eggs
1 cup cream
1 cup rhubarb, cut
1 cup golden raisins

-sift dry ingredients together in large bowl
-in separate bowl, beat eggs slightly
-add eggs to dry mixture and stir to combine
-beat in cream until well blended
-layer rhubarb and raisins in prepared pie crust
-pour filling over the fruit
-bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes
-lower temperature to 350 degrees
-bake an additional 45-50 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean
(you may have to shield crust to keep from over browning)
-let cool on rack
-serve room temperature or chilled

No comments:

Post a Comment