Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bean, corn and veggie salad

Ease and creativity are key right now for meal planning in our home. After a couple of weeks of frustration, I can once again picture the end result of our kitchen renovation. This doesn't necessarily mean it's close, but we've reached the milestone of taping and sanding. Walls again. Within those walls, however, is a big empty space. The fridge is still in the dining room, and the stove is now parked on the back deck.

I would just as soon order take out every night, but my pocketbook and my waistline would probably disagree at some point......so, I'm getting very creative with cold ingredients (raw food eaters, I don't know how you do it all the time!) and the grill.

Salads full of farmers market veggies have become a staple. This one made use of some lingering odds and ends in the fridge, and some canned beans. Super easy, but full of great protein, fiber and lots of other stuff that is makes your body groove.

Bean, corn and veggie salad
makes about 4 servings

1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 ear of corn, kernels cut and blanched (I cooked them in the microwave for 2 minutes)
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
(I used my hand mandoline, which I love, love, love!)
2 T fresh parsley
3 T olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

-throw all of the prepped ingredients into a big bowl and toss well!
-see, easy. and yummy. and good for you.

We ate it with fresh guacomole, corn chips and sliced cheddar. Pulled pork or grilled chicken would make an excellent main if you wanted to use this as a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment