Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday is PIE DAY!

You might think I've gone off the deep end, but I was feeling a little crazy this afternoon while the pie o' the day decision was being made. The even crazier thing is that I think this pie is actually going to be quite tasty. It certainly smells wonderful, so the taste is sure to follow....

Here is my inspiration.
I have no kitchen, so this means a mix it and stick it in the oven kind of pie (or stick it in my neighbors oven, as the case may be). I had a can of organic sweet potato and a can of evaporated milk still left in my pantry stash. I love, love, love, sweet potato pie. But it is August, so I felt the need to add a bit of summer to it.
Ahhhhhh......zucchini. Very plentiful right now, and a good match to sweet baked goods. Also, sweet potato has a slightly mellower flavor than pumpkin, which I think will be a great pairing with the zucchini. Call me cuckoo, but I think it might just work.

Sweet Summer Squash Potato Pie

16 oz cooked and mashed, or canned, sweet potato
3 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 T butter, melted
1/2 t vanilla
1 t freshly ground nutmeg
dash of ground cloves
1/2 medium size zucchini, thinly sliced or shredded
(if you have zucchini coming out of your ears, this pie could handle more if you want to sneak it in)

-prepare zucchini and press between towels to drain excess water*
-combine sweet potato, eggs, sugar, milk and butter in medium bowl
-stir briskly to combine
-add vanilla and spices, stirring until combined
-pour into prepared pie shell
-layer slices of zucchini on top (or stir in shredded zucchini). I poked them in a bit after I took this photo, so that they wouldn't burn to a crisp hanging out right on top of the pie.
-bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes
-lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 minutes,
until knife inserted in center comes out clean

Yes! I just snuck a bite of the still very warm pie, and it is indeed delightful!

*I like to drain my zucchini between a clean dishtowel before I bake with it. This eliminates any watery breads or pies. Just pop a book or cast iron skillet on top of the towel for about 10 minutes, and your zucchini will be good to go!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment