Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wednesday is PIE DAY!

When you are on vacation, Friday can turn into Wednesday just like that. I'm not sure why I thought that I would blog every day on the road, but, let's just say,  it didn't work out that way.
We had so many wonderful friends to visit-check out this crazy bunch!-
and time just got away from me.......but, that's what it is supposed to happen on vacation, right?

Pie Day really did take place on Friday. In fact, I baked two pies.
This one was baked at my dear friend Lisa's house,
with a little help from 4 year old Ruby.
Earlier in the week, we went to Westmoreland Berry Farm on a field trip with Ruby's preschool. This is one of my very favorite places in the Northern Neck of Virginia. We learned all about pumpkins and apples and what they need to grow. I loved the fact that the ladies at the farm had a bunch of 4 year olds chanting "natural resources". A trip to the pumpkin patch to pick out a few gems was a highlight, as was shopping in their little farm store.

A jar of sweet potato and pecan butter from the farm store was the inspiration for this pie.
It seemed fitting that I bake a Virginia pie while in a Virginia kitchen.

Sweet Potato Pecan Butter Pie

single 9" pie crust
1 jar sweet potato pecan butter
(to recreate your own, just use a can of pureed sweet potato and 2/3 cup chopped pecans-easy!)
3 eggs, beaten
2 T milk (increase this to 1/4 cup if using canned sweet potato)

-pour all filling ingredients into medium bowl
-beat until well combined and smooth
-pour into prepared crust
-bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes
-reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 45-50 minutes,
until knife inserted into pie comes out clean
Here is Jasper signalling for another piece of pie.
And here he is with that pie coma look....I know that feeling buddy.





5 comments:

  1. First off any think with Pecans has to be good...second..I know that comma pie feeling as well...I think I feel into it on a Sept. morning ..somewhere in a dark and cold {no freezing} room!

    Looks like you are having fun....maybe a bit to much as I sit here on this windy and rainy day...hohum..sigh.

    Hugs to you my sweet pie making friend. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did have such a lovely time...I miss them all so much already!

    I am right there with you snuggling up against a windy and rainy day....left Virginia on a sunny, 80 degree Sunday and arrived in Minnesota on a 40 degree, windy, rainy day:(
    Roasting veggies right now to cozy things up!

    Hugs to you too!
    Have you devoured all of your macarons yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT photos of the Fredburgers! And the pie looks fab, too, of course. Wish I had a piece with a cup of coffee RIGHT NOW. Great to see you and S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neva!
    I wish we could sit down for pie and coffee right now too.
    A twist on the classic sweet potato-I just had to try the butter!

    Great to see you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I never saw this post. Love it! Yay! Lisa

    ReplyDelete