Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday is PIE DAY!

It is another bulk pie making day for me.
I have an order for Easter pies, and the last batch is in the oven baking away.
Choosing an Easter pie is always a tough choice for me,
but I seem to end up with a pie containing citrus, coconut, or both.
(unless I make my other Easter favorite-carrot pie)

A few weeks ago, I made an assortment of coconut goodies,
and I obviously still had coconut on the brain.

This year's winner?
Coconut custard.
An amazingly simple and classic pie.
Because this pie relies on just a few ingredients, I like to use fresh local eggs and organic milk.
It makes such a difference in the custard!

Coconut Custard Pie
my recipe
makes one 9" pie

single 9" pie crust

4 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 t salt
1 t vanilla
2 cups whole milk
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut

-in medium bowl, lightly beat eggs
-add sugar, salt and vanilla
-whisk to blend
-add milk
-whisk by hand for two minutes
-stir in coconut
-carefully pour into prepared pie crust
-bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes
-reduce heat to 350 degrees
-bake an additional 25-30 minutes
until custard is set and toothpick comes out clean
-cool and serve with fresh whipped cream (and maybe fresh berries!)

 (c) copyright Pies and Aprons April 2012

1 comment:

  1. So yummy!! I love coconut!! Have a Happy Easter Christine!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete