Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday is PIE DAY!

My oldest brother has quite a formidable collection of cookbooks. Lucky for me, he likes to share. On his last visit, he passed along The Dairy Hollow House Cookbook. For those of you not familiar, Dairy Hollow House was a bed and breakfast opened by cook and writer, Crescent Dragonwagon. The B and B is no longer, but the recipes in this book will live on. I'm anxious to try more of them, but the first to catch my eye was, naturally, a pie recipe.

The ingredient list is not typical for most pie recipes, but what grabbed my attention was it's simplicity and summertime feel. It's also dairy free and calls for honey, but no other sugars. Definitely worth a try.

Avocado Lime Pie
recipe from The Dairy Hollow House Cookbook: Crescent Dragonwagon w/ Jan Brown


Making the cashew creme is super easy-just cashews and water!
Adding the avocado and honey makes this wonderful super thick and smooth concoction-yum!
I made a couple of changes in my version of this pie.
1. I used 1/2 cup honey, rather than the 1 cup called for in the recipe.
A full cup seemed like a lot of honey to me, and I am not fond of too much honey taste

2. I used 1 t of tapioca rather than the agar agar powder called for in the recipe.
I did not see the need to make a trip in the car all the way to Whole Foods for one ingredient,
and most of you will be more likely to have the tapioca on hand.
Step 1:
Step 2:
Step 3:

It's not quite set up enough for it's photo op, so I will post a slice photo later...so you can see the layers! I did sneak a forkful, and it is creamy and dreamy...usually I like coffee with pie, but I think a beer might fit the bill on this steamy summer evening.

Happy, happy PIE DAY!
xo Christine


2 comments:

  1. Christine this pie looks amazing!! What a great combination for a pie!! I love "Pie Day"!!! Happy weekend to you! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...this is a pie that I was not expecting...but my daughter just told me these two go together amazingly well {banana and avocado}...she wants to make it. xoxoxoxo Thanks for the idea. Hugs

    ReplyDelete