Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday is PIE DAY!

This pie is plum full of goodness and full of plum goodness. I have made many pies and cakes with plums, but I think that this is my favorite thus far. Oh my this is good. We have the grill heating up for brats and sweet corn, but I really just want to dig into another piece of this pie. I will exercise restraint, however, and properly wait until after dinner. Really. I promise.
*this photo is really just a chance to show off the super cool Red Wing pottery piece
that I scored for a dollar last week*
Plum Full Pie

9" double pie crust
5 cups unpeeled, thinly sliced plums
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 T freshly squeezed orange juice
1 T freshly grated orange zest
2 t crystallized ginger, chopped very fine

-prepare bottom crust and fit into pan
-combine sliced plums and remaining ingredients in large bowl
-stir until all is combined and fruit is coated
-spoon into prepared crust
-top with crust, crimp and vent
-bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until crust is golden and fruit is bubbly
The ginger and orange are a perfect compliment to the plums. Otherwise, I find that plums can get a bit mushy and underwhelming in a pie. Also, this is one time when you want to select rather firm plums. This way, they retain a bit of their shape and have a nice tartness to them. Try this for a Sunday summer brunch with a chilled, crisp bottle of prosecco, then retire to the hammock for the afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds luscious, Christine, and your Red Wing bowl was a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with that bowl, AND this pie!
    Have a great weekend, Linda!

    ReplyDelete