Monday, July 26, 2010

these pancakes might actually be good for you.

For the past 3 months or so, I have been suffering from a bad case of pancake mania. It just seems that I can't get enough pancakes. I mean, I'm not eating them three meals a day or anything, but every weekend I've got to have some pancakes (ok, maybe a weekday thrown in there too). I do have a friend who ate pancakes every night for dinner for 2 years or so. Now she's switched to popcorn. Weird, I know. I could never live like that. I need more variety......but, I digress. Back to pancakes.

Some people have their favorites when it comes to pancakes, but I do not discriminate. I like them all-puffy, flat, sweet, savory, blue, yellow, fruit filled, nut studded. Yup, all of them. Every kind has it's own merits.

These pancakes, however, have been my pancakes of choice for the past few weekends. They seem to be a great combination of whole grain heft (read: good for you!), a bit of puff and a bit of sweet.

Whole Grain Pancakes

1 cup flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 T cornmeal
1 T wheat bran
1 t baking powder
dash of salt
1egg
1 2/3 cup milk
3 T honey
1 t vanilla

-combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix lightly
-add remaining (wet) ingredients to bowl
-mix lightly with a fork until it is combined, but still a bit lumpy
-pour 1/4 cup circles onto heated griddle or pan
-cook until set and light brown on one side, then flip and repeat!
-slather with lots of butter (ok-so much for the good for you part) and syrup

Up until this weekend, I've just cooked these straight up. Yesterday, I tossed in some raspberries fresh from the farmers market-oh yeah. These pancakes are forgiving, so you can experiment a bit and hit on your perfect combo. Sometimes I add more whole wheat flour, or a touch of cinnamon, or some plain yogurt instead of all the milk. Oh-pecans would be good too. Next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment